Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Book of the Week 3/10/14

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
Before I Fall is semi-realistic fiction. Everything is realistic except for the fact that the main character is dead and keeps coming back to life periodically throughout the book. I'd classify it as fantasy, but it really isn't fantasy.
The protagonist, Sam (as in Samantha, not Samuel), is very believable and is usually fairly easy to relate to. Be warned it's more of a girly book, but I wouldn't discourage guys from reading it. It's mature in the sense that the main character talk about sex a lot and several characters do drugs, but it's not horribly mature.
In a sense, Before I Fall is similar to Groundhog Day. The protagonist re-lives the same day several times, and it plays out differently each time.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really good book. I like that kind of writing. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds good - but I wave been warned - I'll look into it more.

    ReplyDelete