Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Book of the Week 1/13/14

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkien (Oh, come on, I know you all knew that)

Yes, I finally got around to reading Lord of the Rings. And let me tell you: it is really, really long. Then again, so is Narnia, Harry Potter, and a bunch of other good stories, so who cares. It's just a little - more than a little - daunting in one volume. Yeah, I have the Lord of the Rings series in one book, which is pretty cool and I like to brag about it. Fun fact: the Lord of the Rings series was actually one 'novel' with many parts, but when it was being published, they decided it would be cheaper to publish it in three volumes. Cool, huh? However, the point of this isn't for me to ramble on and be boring, so on to the book! 
 The Fellowship starts out with a long prologue explaining everything ever (or almost everything) but it's worth reading. Also, it's helpful to have read The Hobbit, which, in case you don't know, takes place about fifty -no, sixty years before.
I'd call it fantasy or adventure fiction with an engaging, clearly well-developed writing style. It's fairly easy to read, but Tolkien uses interesting words. I'm not really sure what the target audience or age group would be, but I certainly think anyone would enjoy it.
However, this is kind of silly because my guess is most of you have already read Lord of the Rings.

2 comments:

  1. so you just read the first book or all of them, because I tried reading the fellowship and its was just mush and mush, like the movie, but 10 times longer. But it is still worth reading it instead of skipping to the twin towers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I couldn't get through the Fellowship. It was kind of cool at the beginning, but then they started walking. And walking. And walking. And walking. And then I didn't care. It's sad, because so many people love LotR that I thought it'd be good, but I couldn't stand it. Maybe I'll try again this summer.

      Delete